SAGE stands for Support Arts Gardening Education.
We promote the mental and physical well-being of adults experiencing mental health problems via the provision of creative therapeutic activities. We have a site at Grimesthorpe Allotments.
More information is here: www.sagesheffield.org.uk/about
We’re looking for volunteers who are available to attend the same session most weeks for several months; because our group members benefit from building relationships with people they know will be reliable. All you need is an interest in working with people with mental health issues. No specific qualifications are necessary, although it helps if you have a good level of spoken English. It’s much more important to you are open-minded, non-judgemental and a good listener.
We work with asylum seekers and refugees and we welcome applications from people with these backgrounds. You do not need a work permit or visa to volunteer with us. All volunteers will have a DBS check (paid for by SAGE) before they start.
What our volunteers do:
Support the social therapeutic gardening group by
- Cooking – see below for details
- Art and Craft activities
- DIY tasks
We believe volunteering should be a rewarding experience all round. We couldn’t manage without the support of our brilliant volunteers so we are really committed to helping you get the most from your time at SAGE. In return for your support, you will get:
- Experience of supporting people with mental health issues. Previous volunteers have progressed onto paid work for other horticultural projects, advice work and mental health support.
- Physical activity
- Conversation in an enjoyable environment
- The chance to improve your skills in gardening, DIY, art & crafts,
- The chance to make a real difference in people’s lives.
- The chance to make a positive contribution to the local community
- Training – for example, local organic gardening courses, mental health courses, as well as first aid training
- Occasional socials with staff and other volunteers
So if you…
- Are interested in mental health
- Can support people through a creative process and if they are out of their ‘comfort zone’
- Like spending time outside
- Enjoy gardening or DIY
…then you could be just what we are looking for. Please contact us through our website: https://www.sagesheffield.org.uk/contact
Sheffield S4 8LE